Director of Human Resources
The Director of Human Resources is responsible for providing support, leadership, and oversight of the human resources and training activities of the property. This position is a strategic business partner who helps the hotel achieve its goals by being an advocate, change leader, and champion for inspiring achievement in the employee teams. The Director must harmonize the culture, mission, values, and quality standards to ensure maximum potential is achieved. This person must create an exceptional climate of professional and personable service that ensures the long term engagement of employees, guests, and owners.
- Create performance expectations, lead people, manage processes, and hold people accountable for the agreed upon activities and timetables.
- Lead, direct, and manage all department operations. Maintain regular presence throughout the department and property.
- Assist in the development of compensation, allowance, and benefit programs and policies, ensuring the property is competitive to market and fiscally responsible to owners.
- Ensure accuracy in all benefit billing and distribution.
- Maintain a thorough and current knowledge of all human resources practices, employee regulations, and employment laws.
- Ensure that the property is in compliance with all programs and policies.
- Supervise labor relations activities, workplace safety, and compliance, protecting the interest and liability of the property.
- Maintain an effective progressive counseling program.
- Oversee property employee relations. Provide counsel and assistance to managers regarding employee problems dealing with supervision and administration.
- Monitor job openings resulting from promotions, terminations, and reorganizations to prepare for internal or external search for replacements.
- Ensure General Manager and corporate Human Resources team are informed of new laws, procedures, liability concerns, and other Human Resources issues.
- Identify resources and conduct ongoing recruitment activities to build a database of screened and qualified candidates for the property.
- Oversee all talent acquisition initiatives. Recruit, select, screen, and hire new employees to staff the property using selection tools.
- Ensure checks are completed to assess candidates’ qualifications.
- Ensure that all property training is completed according to standards, and monitor behavioral changes to help assess learning transference from classroom to on-the-job performance.
- Coordinate and conduct applicable training programs as needed.
- Oversee performance management programs. Maintain effective communication, giving direction, support, timely feedback and recognition of performance.
- Monitor employee engagement and retention results. Ensure effective implementation of recognition and communication programs along with regular engagement events and community philanthropic activities.
- Maintain low staff turnover rate and high morale. Conduct employee opinion surveys and create action plans for areas of opportunity.
- Coordinate, control, and inspect staff areas and accommodations to ensure the highest level of cleanliness and comfort.
- Conduct semi-annual succession planning sessions with the Executive Committee to assess current and anticipated opportunities and identify high potentials. Develop and implement strategies to address talent and performance management needs.
- Facilitate talent development initiatives for staff.
- Maintain employee files in accordance with standards and applicable laws and regulations.
- Communicate with leaders regarding issues, risk, and liability concerns, or other important business matters.
- Prepare and execute business plans to ensure the maximization of property performance.
- Create and develop goals and operational strategies for the operations that are aligned with the Hard Rock brand. Communicate the role that each employee has in their achievement and ensure accountability.
- Monitor actual expenses to determine variance and assess goal accomplishments, and adjust strategies and forecasts accordingly.
- Review weekly forecasts and planning of cost expenditures to correspond to forecasted occupancy and costs.
- Balance staffing levels and labor to achieve ideal employee/guest engagement and cost ratio.
- Attract and select the best talent available from inside or outside the organization.
- Develop and implement strategies to retain staff.
- Train, coach, and counsel managers, supervisors and employees to achieve their career goals and maximize their potential.
- Monitor and evaluate staff performance and deliver recognition and rewards.
- Promote a positive work environment for all employees and ensure all employment related processes and documentation are in compliance.
- Conduct regular meetings with staff to communicate global programs, implement new products and procedures, and discuss areas of opportunities, special events, and other activities.
- Participate in and ensure Sound Checks are being conducted in department.
- Ensure an extraordinary experience and create loyalty to the property and Hard Rock brand by exceeding expectations through exceptional service and product quality.
- Resolve guest complaints and implement changes to prevent future issues.
- Monitor quality assurance program scores and guest feedback. Take corrective action when necessary.
- Ensure all property policies and procedures are fully implemented in department, including health and safety guidelines.
- Maintain relationships with key clients, owners, and investors.
- Maintain communication with Hard Rock corporate staff.
- Develop positive relationships within the business and social community. Spearhead annual philanthropic initiatives.
- Promote the organization in and out of industry and at relevant trade associations.
- Present a professional image to employees, guests, clients, owners, and investors.Serve as a member of the property's Executive Committee.
- Perform duties in accordance with and ensure compliance with property management agreement and other requirements and regulations.
- Operate ethically to protect the Hard Rock brand. Ensure brand and business initiatives are implemented.
- Maintain confidentiality of guest, employee, and company information.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, AND CERTIFICATION
- 8+ years’ experience in human resources and training, including 3 years in a leadership role. Luxury hotel experience preferred.
- Degree/diploma in Human Resources or Hospitality Management, or an equivalent combination of education and experience that provides knowledge, skills, and ability sufficient to successfully perform the duties of the position.
- Working knowledge of all areas of human resources as it relates to practices and legal compliance locally.
- High energy with effective and influential people skills. Positive attitude and the desire to motivate others.
- Ability to prioritize and work on several projects simultaneously should pose a challenge without being overwhelming.
- Ability to comprehend and use technical or professional language, either written or spoken, to communicate complex ideas.
- Strong communication and listening skills and excellent speaking, reading, and writing ability.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, owners, investors, and employees of the organization.
- Ability to perform complex quantitative calculations or reasoning.
- Ability to perform numerical operations using basic counting, adding, subtracting, multiplying or dividing.
- Strong command of software applications, especially Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and hotel-specific platforms (MICROS Opera, Sabre/SYNXIS, Delphi, SUN, etc.).
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers and staff, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact, and diplomacy.
- Fluency in English: additional languages preferred.
- Deep understanding of lifestyle hotels.
- Passion for music and knowledge of music trends preferred.
- Self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and strong organizational skills
- Must meet legal requirements for any required licensing.
- Ability to travel occasionally.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, as needed.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Competitive salary
- Positive, young dynamic team
- Unique working environment in a brand new hotel
- Global Hard Rock discounts to café, hotel and casino
If you are interested in the position, please apply with your CV.